`

04 March 2012

Chocolate muffins with cherries in rum


I take a vitamin every day. It's called chocolate

Well I don't take chocolate every day. Every day would be a bit of an exaggeration. Not THAT much of a chocoholic - I love chocolate once in a while. But when I have something with it, it has to be very rich to be worth having a few bites.
Today started of as a very lazy Sunday. A few cups of coffee in the morning, that lasted till 1 or 2 pm, watching some downloaded TV series. Then the idea to do some cleaning around the apartment turned into something much bigger and it had to be crowned with culmination in the kitchen. The perfect combination of scents in the air now - fresh laundry and chocolate. Mmm...

Coming back to my "vitamins". To me personally the best marriage of dark chocolate is with cherries. Also this time adding a little twist to this "marriage" - his name is Captain Morgan.

Ingredients:
* 100 g dark chocolate
* 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
* 110 g/ 1 stick unsalted butter
* ~3/4 cup/ 170 g granulated sugar
* 4 eggs
* ~110 g/ 1 cup all purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 1 tablespoon vanilla
* 1 cup frozen pitted cherries
* 4 tablespoons of Mr. Captain Morgan

Pour Mr. Morgan over the cherries and let them sit until the batter is prepared. Also in the meantime preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

Melt the butter and the chocolate over low heat. Add the cocoa, vanilla and sugar, mixing everything very well. I had a little issue - only when the butter and chocolate was melted I noticed I was short of sugar, so I combined sugar cane sugar, regular granulated and a spoon of powder sugar (it seems it has worked well).

Gradually add the eggs one at a time, mixing the batter well, to be followed with the baking powder and the flour. I expected the batter to be slightly more runny. It did end up being a bit on the stiff side.

Add the cherries with the rum, mix well and pour it into the muffin tray lined with muffin paper cups. It made 12 muffins. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the wooden tooth pick comes out clean. Et Voila! Mission accomplished - home smells heavenly... Of vitamins.




Bon appétit!