`

16 April 2012

Salmon croquettes with caper filling

"A hook's well lost to catch a salmon"

I love salmon in every shape and form. My favorite though is raw - very fresh, cut into cubes, dipped in soy sauce and wasabi. Sometimes I buy a whole fish, fillet it and prepare different ways - salt it, freeze a few pieces, always snacking on it while cutting and preparing.
When preparing the Easter menu, I asked my Mom what was her favorite Easter dish from childhood. She said it was Grandma's fish croquettes in marinate. Since I happily volunteered to prepare all Easter dishes this year, I wanted to make something that would remind her of the favorite dish yet have something new about it - Grandma's recipe for marinate, my recipe for the croquettes - a combination that worked out perfectly :).

Ingredients for croquettes:
* 700g salmon fillets
* Marinated capers (I order my favorite ones from Skanus Kampas)
* 1 tablespoon flour
* 3 tablespoons white bread crumbs
* 1egg
* salt and fresh ground pepper
* Olive oil for frying

The toughest part was preparing the fish - didn't want to mince it, so I was working it with a knife - chopping till it turned into the desired mass to be rolled into croquettes.

Once the fish was done, the egg, bread crumbs, flour, salt (go light with the salt if filling with capers - some of the marinated ones can be quite salty) and pepper were added and minced with hands until all ingredients were incorporated.While forming the croquettes, dip hands into water, so the fish doesn't stick as much.

Roll out a patty, put a teaspoon of capers inside and roll it into a ball. Heat some olive oil in a frying pan and fry the croquettes till they turn golden.

Salmon does tend to dry out, therefore don't overdo with the cooking. It took me approximately 10-15 minutes for both sides (depending on the size of the croquettes).

Once done - can be served warm or marinated overnight and served as a cold snack.







(Apologies for the blury photos - the "to do list" was long and the time for everything was limited :))


Bon appetit!