`

28 April 2015

Pan seared salmon & wilted spinach with coconut milk


“A photographer is like a cod, which produces a million eggs in order that one may reach maturity.”  George Bernard Shaw


Today there are two occasions to cook fish for dinner (for me it's usually next day's lunch for work) - it's Tuesday, so fresh fish is brought in. More importantly - bought a new camera lense and my hands were itching to take photos of some food! The normal crowd would probably go out on the street to get some photos taken, but since I don't blend in with the regulars in this sense - I needed something on my plate.

Needless to say - going to a store to buy some kind of fish, I end up with a few options... My next option to be prepared for posing on the plate is mackerel, which is already filleted and waiting to be turned into ceviche or marinated in lime juice (or some other way that comes to mind during the process).

To tell you honestly, lately I have been having difficulties in thinking of what I want to cook. My mind is all set on a new toy I will have for a week as of this Thursday - sous vide equipment. I always thought these pieces of technology end up taking a lot of space. Wrong! Apparently there are manufacturers who already thought of those crazy home cooks. Most importantly - they have thought of those people that don't have a natural feeling for cooking, but love restaurant quality food! I am so looking forward to experimenting with the sous vide for a week, that all I can think of is recipes for it, but not the "regular stuff".

Coming back to my salmon. I didn't feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen today. So chose something quick, easy and, of course, with a gorgeous outcome! Most preparation I did today was set up my "photo shooting area". 

The salmon filets today looked so gorgeous, I simply could not resist them. Lately I've been having a serious craving for shrimp and salmon. 'Tis the "season" or what? I tend to listen to what kind of food my body wants. So salmon it is!

Ingredients (per 1 serving):
* Salmon filet
* 100 g fresh spinach
* 4-5 garlic cloves
* 2 tablespoons light coconut milk
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* Lime wedges for serving
* Salt

Remove skin and bones. Simply cut off the skin. With bones the easiest way is using tweezers. I got a pair of cheep ones at a cosmetics store - they work perfectly! Feel the filet with your fingers for bones. Salmon doesn't have too many - it is fairly easy. 


I seared just one side of the filet. This way one becomes crispy, the other is just barely done or raw - your choice. I like mine raw when the fish is that fresh.

Cook it over moderate heat, so the one side doesn't burn. If the filet is thick enough and you want it a little bit more on the done side take a spoon and scoop up some of the oil in the pan and pour it over. Sprinkle with a bit of salt. Carefully remove from the pan when done.

Dry out the pan with a paper towel. Heat the pan over moderate heat, melt butter, add sliced garlic cloves and the spinach. The tiny secret of getting spinach on a whole new level is adding a bit of coconut milk and not to overcook so it doesn't get bitter. When spinach wilts a little in the pan, add coconut milk and a pinch of salt. Another minute and you're ready for serving!



Serve with a few wedges of lime. Add some fresh ground pepper if desired and enjoy! I did :).






Bon appétit! 

P.S. I'm off to enjoy a bit of the storm outside before I turn in for the night :)

Follow my blog with Bloglovin