`

26 December 2015

Beet, goat cheese and roasted pine nut tart

"Every guy thinks that every girl's dream is to find the perfect guy... Pleeeease! Every girl's dream is to eat without getting fat!"


I love love love beets! For quite a long time I had different associations with this root - haunted by memories of boiled beets from kindergarten. No kidding! Just remembering those meals give me shivers down my spine - meatballs with boiled beets and buckwheat. Yuck! At least the way the food was prepared... It took me a bit to recuperate from childhood traumas and just a bit more to completely fall in love with this amazing vegetable. I could it eat it with almost anything, but goat cheese beats it to the top of the list. 


This tart is amazingly easy to make. I'm actually surprised I didn't think of this combination before. But now here it is!

If you have some unexpected guests and want to surprise them with something quite hassle free, stop by the closest store and grab those few ingredients. I always have some pie crust in my freezer - has saved me on surprise guest visits.

Ingredients:
* 1 kg boiled beets (I did take the easy way out)
* 200 g goat cheese
* 1 packet of frozen crust (yeast free)
* 1 onion
* 1 garlic
* a handful of pine nuts
* Oil
* Salt'n'pepper



Let the crust sit in room temperature for a bit, until you can work it. No need to defrost completely. I'd say - 10-15 minutes is enough. Lay it out in the pie pan. Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Top the crust with parchment paper. You'll need to bake it first with some weight on top of paper. I usually use dried peas. Rice or anything else similar will do. I have a designated bag of peas for this. Bake it for ~15 minutes, until the sides start to change color.

In the meantime prepare the beets. Slice onion, chop garlic and fry in a bit of oil till soft. Add sliced beets. The smaller the pieces, the better they will fill the crust. Mine were a bit too chunky. Add some herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Remember goat cheese will be added, so don't overdo with the salt.

Give beets ~20 minutes. Mix with goat cheese, add roasted pine nuts. Lay out beets on the crust and back to the oven for 10 minutes. 





Bon appétit!