`

02 September 2014

Classic gazpacho


"It's difficult to think anything but pleasant thoughts while eating a homegrown tomato." ~Lewis Grizzard

I've been in a serious loving relationship with tomatoes since I was little. My parents even used to bribe me with a homegrown tomato. Talking me into staying in daycare without screaming on top of my lungs for being left there required a promise I would earn a tomato at my "job". Nowadays finding a tasty tomato is not as easy - the store bought ones look alright, but that's about it. The farmer's market is a salvation in the summer time and beginning of fall.



Making gazpacho requires little time - about 30 minutes for preparation and an overnight in the fridge prior to serving.


Ingredients:
~2 kg tomatoes - skin removed, cored and chopped
* 2 cucumbers - peeled, seeds removed and chopped
* 2 red bell peppers - peeled, seeded and chopped
* 1 chilli/jalapeno - seeded and finely chopped
* 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
* 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
* Salt'n'pepper
* Cress sprouts for serving

In case you like your cold soups a bit more spicy, add a bit more of chilli or jalapeno. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate over night. Puree with a blender until smooth, add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste, sprinkle with cress sprouts and serve.


 Bon appetit!