`

09 February 2016

Cream of carrot ginger soup

"Soup is just a way of screwing you out of a meal!" -Jay Leno




Jay Leno may be right, but I don't mind, if the soup that screws you out of a meal is good!

'Tis the season! I'm not talking about the upcoming Spring unfortunately. Everyone around seems to be falling for flu. With the first signs of epidemic hitting the news, time to tone up the immunity. Instead of chewing on raw garlic, which is a good way to scare those with virus away for very obvious reasons, I went for heart warming and rich soup.

Yesterday standing in line at the grocery store, I was going through my usual routine. I love to monitor what people buy. It's amazing how much one can tell about a person by the groceries he/she gets - single, couple, family with kids, someone recovering from a solid weekend, etc. (findings do deserve a dedicated separate post). Well yesterday prior to getting to cashiers, I had to stand in line for ginger, lemon and garlic. I think these are the top ingredients people go for when trying to refrain from getting sick.

One of my favorites and amazingly easy to make - cream of carrot ginger soup. Either on a special diet or not - as long as you do like ginger and carrots, I'm sure you'll love the soup!
Prep time - no more than 15 minutes (unless you are digging your own carrots), total time - under 45 minutes and the soup is ready! With the amount of ingredients, it definitely serves more than one (I'd say 4-6). In my case and taking into very serious consideration the flu going around, it serves just 1 for a few days!

Ingredients:
* 1 kg carrots
* 1 onion
* 1.5 heads of garlic
* 1-2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger
* 1.5 liter vegetable stock (or any other)
* Thyme
* Salt'n'pepper
* Olive oil

The vegetable stock I use is store bought. Found a really good option at a specialty eco store - read the label, understood all ingredients, means none of the artificial additives. Bring 1.5 liter of water to boil, through in 2 cubes and really good veggie stock is ready.

With the rest of the ingredients. Dice the carrots and chop onion and garlic. In a large pot heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over moderate heat, stir in onion and garlic, add carrots, cook ~5 minutes. Add minced ginger, thyme, salt and pepper, pour over the stock and let it simmer for 30 or so minutes. Puree soup in blender. Taste for salt and pepper and serve.




Bon appétit!