`

05 February 2016

Potato pancakes with creme fraiche and caviar

"In a big family the first child is kind of like the first pancake. If it's not perfect, that's okay, there are a lot more coming along". Antonin Scalia, American Judge


When I was looking for a quote about pancakes, this one made me laugh, but then I thought - what if there was just one pancake (or child)? Everything must be perfect then! And I have been trying to perfect my pancakes in all kinds of shapes and forms, with a variety of ingredients. I can't say this recipe is perfect - I don't think such a thing exists in cooking. To me personally these turned out really delicious and I absolutely loved the texture.
Potato pancakes have been a part of our family menu as long as I can remember. There is a strong association with my childhood. Always the same - finely grated potatoes, an egg, some salt and pepper and fried in sunflower oil. Mind that we knew nothing of olive oil back then. Served with sour cream. Delicious. But then again - there is always something new to try to refine it, elevate the taste, make it less oily (we are all watching our diets nowadays), add some new flavors.

To me a very important part in food is the right texture. The taste may be sometimes almost the same, but if two pieces differ in texture, you can end up having a totally different experiences. I do hope one day I will get to that point (or level), when I will be able to prepare some kind of a classic on a plate, yet in a deconstructed manner. That is that once you look at the dish, it looks completely different, but when you taste it, you know it's that classical, traditional or well known to everybody dish. 

Got sidetracked - I don't think that would ever concern potato pancakes! Anyways, it has become kind of a tradition lately to have pancakes on Sundays. So last Sunday I had banana and oat pancakes for breakfast and then potato pancakes with caviar for late lunch/dinner. 

Ingredients (1 serving):
* 1 big potato
* 0.5 red onion
* Tzatziki
* Sunflower oil
* Salt'n'pepper
* Creme fraiche
* Caviar (don't like it - substitute with herring, salted salmon, smoked mackerel)

When grating potatoes, I choose the grater in between - not too fine and not too large. And that does the trick in terms of texture. The finer grater makes potatoes too liquid and then an egg is necessary to hold them together. Add finely chopped onion, salt and pepper to taste and tzatziki. Heat a few tablespoons of oil and bake the pancakes until golden brown. Lay on paper towels to remove any excess oil.

Serve with creme fraiche topped with caviar. I absolutely like creme fraiche mixed with a bit of tzatziki as well (I use it more ways than Greeks have thought of). It does add a bit of garlicky flavor. For a substitute - use garlic powder, some chopped herbs.





Bon appetit!