`

09 April 2015

Smoked mackerel in lettuce cups with home made mayo and capers

"In the hands of an able cook, fish can become an inexhaustible source of perpetual delight." Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin (1755-1826)


Ok, so even "back then" people knew how amazing fish is! I wouldn't call myself an "able cook" - this mackerel has already been in the hands of some other cook, who smoked it to perfection. Smoked mackerel by itself is absolutely gorgeous. It takes so little so tune it up.
When I started getting more serious with cooking, I was always in search of something fancier if that is the right way to describe it. Now looking back retrospectively, the simpler the ingredients, the fancier the dish (most of the times I would say). 
Traveling around the world, to all amazing destinations with even more amazing food along the way, I learned to also appreciate what I have in my own country. It is so unbelievably rewarding to take something locally grown or prepared and elevate it a little bit. So mackerel is not caught locally, but no matter which grocery store you go to in Lithuania, you will always find at least smoked mackerel, sometimes even fresh. I promise to write a post on marinated fresh mackerel one day - will borrow my Dad's recipe for it.

This dish/starter came to mind when preparing one of the dinner parties. I needed something light, tasty, savory and something everyone would enjoy. Smoked mackerel seemed like a very legitimate option.

Ingredients:
* Smoked mackerel (of course)
* Lettuce
* Capers
* Home made mayo
* Salt'n'pepper

Prepare mackerel. The only preparation is removing the skin and removing bones. Add a bit of mayo, mix with some fresh ground pepper. Usually fish is already salted, so you may not need much salt or any at all for that matter.



Mix with some capers and spoon it into lettuce cups. When shopping for fresh greens, for this appetizer I always search for some kind of lettuce that would work out as a serving "cup".



This is it! I'm absolutely sure you and/or your guests would love it! So easy to make and so delightful!




Bon appétit!