`

19 April 2015

Roasted stuffed peppers

We are all dietetic sinners; only a small percent of what we eat nourishes us; the balance goes to waste and loss of energy. ~William Osler

I cleaned my fridge a few days ago. Decided it is time to use all of the frozen goodies since the new season is fast approaching. Kept up to my promise for 2 days... Stopped by a store to pick up one thing and saw some gorgeous tomatoes and red bell peppers. So... Having a bright yet very light red dinner tonight!



When I was recently on vacation in Andalusia, Spain, with my friends - saw a small recipe book on their shelf - "200 tapas & spanish dishes". Small format, very appetizing photos and mouthwatering recipes. Bought one for me that same day.

Inspiration for this bright/red/light dinner came from that little book. Home smells heavenly! With those ingredients - you can eat them raw, but when cooked with fresh herbs and garlic! Mmm....


Oh, and my flower pots outside (those that haven't seen flowers for a few years in a row now) are turning greener each day - a bunch of fresh thyme leaves and chives have popped out. I'm surprised they survived winter in a  flower pot, but am so happy about it. My peppers and tomatoes are baked in the oven with home grown herbs.


Ingredients:
* 1 red bell pepper
* 1 tomato
* 2 garlic cloves
* A few sprigs of fresh thyme
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
* Salt'n'pepper

Prep time - 10 minutes (this did include going out on to the terrace to pick thyme :)).
Cooking time - 50-55 minutes at 220 C degrees.

Halve peppers, remove seeds, place cut side up in an ovenproof dish. Divide thyme and chopped garlic between the two. Leave some thyme for garnishing. Sprinkle with some salt'n'pepper. Place half of a tomato in each, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I used white one this time. Roast in a preheated oven until peppers are soft and a bit charred.


Serve with some fresh bread - trust me, you will want to soak up those juices. Or as a side dish to fish or meat.





Bon appétit!